The San Diego Mesa College women’s beach volleyball team closed out the month of March in strong fashion by winning four consecutive matches. Even more impressive, three of those victories came against conference opponents (Palomar College, Mira Costa College, San Diego City College).
On Friday, with the rain coming down on Mesa College, the Olympians lost a pair of close matches against PCAC leader Grossmont College 3-2, followed by College of the Desert 3-2.
“We put up a really good fight and we’re pleased with how most of our teams competed,” states head coach Kim Lester. “But we need to learn how to start our matches with more energy from the first point. The more energy we create, the better we play. We also need to cut down on unforced errors. With the conference in striking distance, we need everyone to buy in. That includes going to treatment, listening to the coaches, and putting in extra time to get better.”
The Olympians (4-2) drop to second place in the PCAC standings behind Grossmont College, who remain undefeated at 6-0.
The women continue their trek through conference opponents on Friday, April 12 as they host Mira Costa College. Match is scheduled for a 9:00 a.m. start.
GROSSMONT COLLEGE (3) vs. SD MESA COLLEGE (2)
- 1’s GC Elizondo/Faa’agi beat Fergusson/Grimm 21-10,21-18
- 2’s GC Goycoochea/Morris beat Casas/Snyder 21-17,21-10
- 3’s Mesa Schonbachler/Rosario beat Holden/Sakesegawa. 21-14,17-21,15-12
- 4’s Mesa Poindexter/Bickham beat Johnson/Colton 14-21,21-7,15-12
- 5’s GC Snyder/Lipscomb beat Rens/Hutton 21-8,21-18
COLLEGE OF THE DESERT (3) VS. SD MESA COLLEGE (2)
- 1’s COD Ashlyn/Kelsey beat Fergusson/Grimm 21-10,23-21
- 2’s Mesa Casas/Snyder beat Taylor/Katie21-15,21-18
- 3’s COD Kendall/Naomi beat Schonbachler/Rosario 16-21,21-19,17-15
- 4’s COD Mesa/Svoboda beat Poindexter/Bickham 21-13,21-16
- 5’s Mesa Rens/Hutton beat Bailey/Emily 21-19,21-18