TELL US ABOUT LAST SEASON:
It was my first season as the head coach for the women, and although we didn’t field a full scoring team, we had some success. Jasmine Perez, a heptathlete was able to qualify for the state meet individually.
WHAT DO WE NEED TO DO FOR A SUCCESSFUL 2019 SEASON:
We need for all our athletes to develop not just individually, but also as a team. We need to be consistent in everything we do both on and off the field.
KEY LOSSES FROM THE TEAM THROUGH GRADUATION OR TRANSFERRING:
Jasmine Perez will be missed on this team; she was our team captain. She is transferring to UNLV to continue her athletic and academic career.
NEW ADDITIONS TO THE TEAM, AND WHAT ARE WE EXPECTING FROM THEM:
We are excited about the new freshman class. They have an opportunity to bring back the success and legacy of the Mesa Women’s Cross-Country program. We are expecting these athletes to buy into the program, work hard, and to contribute immediately.
Some of our top recruits include:
- Adriana Leal (Mira Mesa HS)- 5:17 (1600m), 11:32 (3200m), 20:10 5K XC
- Yahira Zuniga (San Diego HS)- 5:48 (1600m), 12:50 (3200m), 20:33 5K XC
- Beyonce Wright (Steele Canyon HS)- 5:45 (1600m), 12:44 (3200m), 20:29 5K XC
- Mya Thomas (Chula Vista HS)- 5:30 (1600m), 12:24 (3200m), 20:13 2.96 Mile XC
- Mykenzie Belliotti (Mission Hills HS)- 2:28 (800m), 6:10 (1600m), 22:01 3 Miles XC
- Grace Calegari (Poway HS) - 2:36 (800m), 5:49 (1600m), 12:37 (3200m), 21:11 5K XC
GIVE ME A QUICK OVERALL VIEW OF OUR CONFERENCE:
Our conference is competitive and includes quality programs such as SB Valley, Palomar College, and Cuyamaca College. Our goal is to either win or place top two in the conference and have our athletes earn all-conference honors.
WHAT ARE YOUR EXPECTATIONS FOR THE TEAM THIS SEASON:
Our number one goal is for them to develop, improve throughout the season, and be on track to transfer to a four-year university. We want to be consistent, healthy, and place top two in the conference and qualify for and be competitive at the state championship meet.